Your Ultimate Chicago Southland Shopping Guide for the 2020 Holiday Season
The holidays are in full swing here in the Chicago Southland! Small Business Saturday is November 28 and this year, small businesses need our support now more than ever before. Check out our ultimate shopping guide for ideas to get a jump start on your holiday shopping:
1. Hand-blown glass art – Snag a one-of-a-kind work of art from Lotton Art Glass Gallery & Studios in Crete. This year, Lotton Art Glass is celebrating their 50th anniversary, making now the perfect time to add one of their beautiful pieces to your collection. As part of their anniversary celebration, Lotton Art Glass is creating beautiful bowls that are now available for purchase! The gallery is open to the public Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. To schedule a private viewing, call 708-672-1400.
2. Sweet treats – Pick up some sweet treats that will make even sweeter gifts, like delicious, hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries from Gayety’s Chocolates & Ice Cream Co. in Lansing. Candy, caramel apples, ice cream and more awaits you this holiday season at Gayety’s! Stop by Cunis Candies in South Holland for even more tasty favorites like old fashioned peanut brittle, cherry cordials, chocolate covered strawberries and much more. Cunis can ship orders anywhere in the United States, perfect for long distance holiday celebrations. Click here for even more options in the Chicago Southland; you’re sure to satisfy the sweet tooth of everyone on your list!
3. Flannels – Keep your friends and family warm all winter long with a flannel shirt from Evil Horse Brewing Company in Crete. Embroidered with the Evil Horse logo, these flannels are the perfect gift for the beer lover in your life! Plus, Evil Horse is also offering branded thermals, hats, beanies, t-shirts and glassware. Stop in today to grab your Evil Horse merch!
4. A game of golf – There are over 30 public golf courses in the Chicago Southland, making our region a golf lover’s paradise. Score a hole-in-one this holiday season with a gift card! Treat your friends and family to a round of golf, lessons or merchandise at their favorite course, like Cog Hill Golf & Country Club in Palos Park or the Odyssey Golf Foundation in Tinley Park. Click here to see all the golf courses in the Chicago Southland.
5. Zoo memberships – Perfect for all the animal lovers on your shopping list, memberships to Brookfield Zoo are the gift that give year-round. There are several different membership levels, making it easy to customize your gift. Check out all the membership options here.
6. Beer and wine – There are nearly 20 craft breweries in the Chicago Southland! Beer lovers are sure to appreciate a pint from these local establishments. Hailstorm Brewing Co. in Tinley Park will be offering a special “milk and cookies” brew, perfect for the holidays. Plus, many breweries are also offering merchandise, the perfect way for your giftee to show their love for beer! Be sure to show your support on Small Business Saturday AND on Small Brewery Sunday on November 29! Click here for a list of breweries in the Chicago Southland.
Know a wine lover? Look no further for the perfect gift! Vintrendi Wine Company in Park Forest offers a fine selection of hand-crafted wines. This wine is produced in small batches with the finest grapes and fruits. With choices ranging from dessert wines to specialty wines, Vintrendi has a flavor everyone on your list will enjoy. Click here to order Vintrendi wine! Wild Blossom Meadery & Winery in Chicago is another excellent choice for wine lovers. For over 30 years, Wild Blossom has been creating sustainable and locally sourced products. Wild Blossom even raises their own bees and collects their own honey. Click here to check out the wine and mead options that Wild Blossom offers. For even more wine options in the Chicago Southland, be sure to check out Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant, with multiple locations throughout the region.
7. Customized baseball bats – Hit it out of the park this year by gifting a customized baseball bat from Homewood Bat Co. in Homewood. Choose between pro, game, fungo, youth, promo or championship bats. New to Homewood Bat this year is the revolutionary Tek Bat, used by the pros! Each bat is created by hand and comes with the Homewood Bat commitment to creating fine and lasting products. Order your bats today by calling 708-713-8000.
8. Theater tickets – The perfect choice for theater buffs! Grab tickets for a 2021 performance at a local theater. The Chicago Southland is home to several performing arts centers, with a variety of performances throughout the year. Click here to see a list of regional theaters and other arts and culture organizations.
9. A good book – Sports fans and avid readers alike will appreciate this new book by Windy City ThunderBolts broadcaster, Terry Bonadonna. A Wonderful Waste of Time is Terry’s first book and follows the ThunderBolts from his perspective. This book features a behind the scenes look at spending the summers working for a minor league baseball team. Click here to buy A Wonderful Waste of Time on Amazon, and be sure to snag your ThunderBolts game tickets in 2021! Art lovers will enjoy the new book Richard Haas Murals in Homewood, Illinois. This book details the beautiful Richard Haas murals throughout Homewood. Books can be purchased at the Homewood Historical Society on Saturdays from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. If you have any questions, please contact author Kris Condon at email@example.com.
10. Gift cards – Finish off your holiday shopping with a gift card to a local restaurant! There are hundreds of restaurants in the Chicago Southland that need your support this season. Give back to the community and give to your friends and family at the same time. Click here for a list of area restaurants.
Need even more ideas? We recommend checking out the gift shop at the Shrine of Christ’s Passion, the Old Orland antique shops, the Frankfort historic district and the Homewood Business Association for more unique gift ideas. Until December 10, you can also participate in a silent auction benefitting the Center for Performing Arts and the Nathan Manilow Sculpture Park at Governors State University. Click here for store listings throughout the Chicago Southland. Don’t forget to share your purchases with us on social media using #SmallBusinessSaturday and #ChicagoSouthland! Thank you for shopping small this year!